July 17, 2014 was the day when I scrolled through the people I was following on Twitter and realized they were a mix of political people, cultural people, social builders, influencers, tomorrow’s leaders, and others.
It was the day when I observed I curate numerous public and private lists (such as the above links), mostly to lurk and learn, but most of the people I was following were not on a list.
It was the day when I realized maybe 1% of the people I was following were not following me back — and the other 99% rarely tweeted to me or mentioned me. I wondered why I followed people. Was it because they followed me first? Was it because they were also in a list and I wanted to see more of them? Was it because they were popular? Was it because of who they are as people or what they wrote in 140 character bursts?
It was the day when I thought back to my prior blog posts about finding order in chaos and this sentence I wrote in February: “I am routinely unfollowing people who I know and trying to befriend or follow them on Facebook instead.”
It was the day when I realized I was still following some people on Twitter who I was already interacting with on Facebook; but there were many others who I was not and who I sent friend requests.
It was the day when I realized I was following people on Twitter and I had no idea why I was following them.
It was the day when I started unfollowing people one at a time but it was taking too long and it was frustrating me so I logged into my Tweepi account and pressed the unfollow button 300+ times in a row.
It was the day when I was suddenly following nobody on Twitter.
It was the day when I recognized I was using Facebook not only for friending people I knew in the flesh but also people who shared a geography or a demography with me.
It was the day when I realized I was commenting and sharing more on Facebook than on Twitter. I could never have predicted this back in January when I began embracing chaos but Facebook became more productive for me.
It was the day when I recalled the first sentence of my first blog post of 2014 that I am throwing out the rules.
It was the day when I decided to write a blog post for the first time in nearly a month as a way of trying to find meaning in something even larger: I am tired of working in the social media industry and I am looking for the next chapter in my professional life.
I am running for State Representative and the voters will make a decision on November 4. Either they elect me or they don’t. I can’t wait until Election Day to determine my future, so I’m taking a stand and closing my 5-year-old sole proprietorship. I’m not an office worker drone kind of guy and I want to do something in media and community relations. If I get elected, I could possibly do both. If I don’t, I continue working. But for now, I need that role.
July 17, 2014 was the day when I unfollowed everyone on Twitter so I can use that channel for finding a job without being distracted by anything else.
You can friend me on Facebook or follow my Instagram photos. Those are the social sites I use the most these days. I’m on LinkedIn too, but I’m cautious about accepting invitations from people who can’t accurately recommend me.
I’ll return to Twitter when I have a reason to tweet. For now, I’m taking a break over there, using Facebook more actively, and focusing on the things that matter.