The coronavirus pandemic is bringing out the best in our creativity and innovations, and I want to share 29 things you can do today to bring awesomeness into your life.
2. Order books for delivery from bookstore websites. Powell’s Books is one of many bookstores that hired staff to help with demand.
3. Nominate people to receive free books in the mail, or help sponsor.
4. Read 100 books starting today and through the rest of the pandemic.
5. Listen to books if you prefer. Here’s a 30-day free trial.
6. Purchase an arthouse movie ticket for the theater of your choice and watch it online.
7. Rent a NBCUniversal movie online the same day it’s scheduled to be released in the movie theater.
8. Show your kids this free library of curated TV shows. The best part is you don’t need to be an Amazon Prime member.
9. Buy products sold out at Target, Walmart, Amazon, and other stores by purchasing them from somewhere else. Start here.
10. Visit a museum anywhere in the world.
11. Listen to NYC’s Metropolitan Opera every day.
12. Watch live camera feeds from the Maryland Zoo. Most zoos and aquariums are sharing pictures and Facebook Live videos.
14. Read about the designer who 3D-printed a device to adapt a snorkel mask into a life-saving oxygen mask for hospital patients.
15. Make a movie with three months of free Apple software.
16. Learn computer programming for free.
17. Watch an interview about an American teenager who created a COVID-19 tracking website.
18. See NBA All-Star Steph Curry interview Dr. Anthony Fauci.
19. Learn about the Seattle Coronavirus Assessment Network, a research project enabling home testing kits and studying the viral spread.
20. Discover how the coronavirus interacts with surfaces and what kills it, such as 62% alcohol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide, or 0.1% bleach.
21. Study 25,000 research papers about the virus published online and available for free. One goal is for AI to find what matters.
22. Share your unused computing power to research virus treatments.
23. Learn how to play a musical instrument.
24. Clean your phone. That is, your cellphone. Clean the landline, too.
25. Laugh at (and with) Jimmy Fallon as he broadcasts his show from home.
26. Find recipes and read stories about the joy of cooking.
27. Become an expert on social distancing and tell everyone you know.
28. Take control of your feelings if anxious or depressed.
29. Smile at human life in Antarctica, where coronavirus has yet to strike.
Can you recommend other activities to add to this list? Add a comment below.